Monday, November 2, 2009

Resuming with a Story

Alas, my hiatus has come to a close. I am back to telling the tales of my daily life. Writing about me has become all too common, however, with the encumbrance of college applications. But the more I think about it, the more similarities I can trace between the college essay and blogspot post writing styles. Creative, expressive, and with an audience, these compositions demand the same expectations of engaging promise. At any rate, here is the story component of my post as promised by the title:

If you look back to my first post, I have identified and pointed out the many reasons I consider winter my favorite season. I described the comforting, snug feeling of sitting in the house, safely bundled in a blanket with a frothy latte as the chilling outdoors attempt and fail time and time again to encroach upon the warmth of the hearth. But this is quite the antagonistic view of the frosty outsides, a perspective that I have come to abandon over time.

One day, physics got the best of me. I set my book down and did away with my heap of crumpled up papers. My head, physically pulsing in fury over my befuddlement, clearly needed a break. I got up, put on my jacket, plugged in my ear buds, opened the door, and set forward--at 10 o'clock in the night. A cool breeze tousled my hair as I entered the serene darkness of the outdoors. The brilliant chord progressions of Ludovico Einaudi echoed in the back of my head and throughout the otherwise silent atmosphere. A sea of glinting stars spangled the pitch black canvas of a sky. I had only taken ten steps, and I fell in love with the sublime, placid stasis of the environment.

Demanding no goals, no thoughts, my neighborhood became my nighttime sanctuary, and I concluded that the wintry outdoors really aren't that bad, after all.

Here are a couple of pictures I took of the daytime panorama from the summit in Avalon Heights where I end my routine walks: