While driving, whenever I'd pass by a sign saying "Yes on Prop. 8" I'd always make some scornful comment against the bigot who planted that sign. My heart broke when California ended up with a majority vote for the passage of prop. 8 -- the legal banning of gay marriage. I live in a very traditional, orthodox family. A series of unsettling arguments took place in our house -- some culminating in vitriolic slanders and slammed doors, others in tears. Even after our several intermittent arguments, I was unable to convince my parents to change their mindset about these rights that don't even directly influence us. I felt as if all I had done was churned anger and discontent within the hearts of my family -- as if I had failed to uphold my duty. They were so staunchly devoted to their position that they threatened to no longer consider me their son if I persisted to support gay rights. I think their biggest fear was that I was turning gay myself -- something I am certain will never happen. But something else inside me tells me that they were just appalled by such a nonconformist mentality bubbling in their own adolescent. Emotionally perturbed after our numerous arguments, I called up one of my best friends -- a strong proponent along with his family against this proposition. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have been able to express my emotions; if it weren't for him, I would have had no option but to bottle up my sense of loss. I couldn't bear to imagine that my own household would be contributing against gay rights, against so many of my peers and teachers, against a nascent, burgeoning part of society. The fight is not over, however. I encourage everybody to continue their protests and keep up hopes. Such a prominent group of normal Californians cannot be ignored or deprived of human rights. Diversity will be respected.
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Erase the Hate: No on Prop. 8
While driving, whenever I'd pass by a sign saying "Yes on Prop. 8" I'd always make some scornful comment against the bigot who planted that sign. My heart broke when California ended up with a majority vote for the passage of prop. 8 -- the legal banning of gay marriage. I live in a very traditional, orthodox family. A series of unsettling arguments took place in our house -- some culminating in vitriolic slanders and slammed doors, others in tears. Even after our several intermittent arguments, I was unable to convince my parents to change their mindset about these rights that don't even directly influence us. I felt as if all I had done was churned anger and discontent within the hearts of my family -- as if I had failed to uphold my duty. They were so staunchly devoted to their position that they threatened to no longer consider me their son if I persisted to support gay rights. I think their biggest fear was that I was turning gay myself -- something I am certain will never happen. But something else inside me tells me that they were just appalled by such a nonconformist mentality bubbling in their own adolescent. Emotionally perturbed after our numerous arguments, I called up one of my best friends -- a strong proponent along with his family against this proposition. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have been able to express my emotions; if it weren't for him, I would have had no option but to bottle up my sense of loss. I couldn't bear to imagine that my own household would be contributing against gay rights, against so many of my peers and teachers, against a nascent, burgeoning part of society. The fight is not over, however. I encourage everybody to continue their protests and keep up hopes. Such a prominent group of normal Californians cannot be ignored or deprived of human rights. Diversity will be respected.